Thursday, March 30, 2006

It's All about Cobblestone

It's a Cobblestone Press kind of week. After more revisions, I submitted Between Floors for consideration. I sent it last night, so I haven't heard yet and won't be surprised if it takes a week to hear either way. I hope they'll accept the story, but I will treat myself to a consolation prize if they don't.

I got my edits for Office Relations today. My editor Leanne called it a "clean manuscript," a compliment I appreciate since I write and edit for my day job. She still had some excellent comments and caught a number of things I'd missed. Bless her! I appreciate the help in making the story as good as it can be.

I noticed a couple of things I can work on--first, I need to get away from those wandering eyes. Someone's gaze can move freely, but the eyes shouldn't. Yikes! This is something I'll watch for in future stories.

Another common issue was using actions that contradict each other--for example, one character puts his hands on a desk at the same time he gestures to a chair. Uh . . . no. In many cases, this happens because my writing process is first to write, then to revise the story significantly. During the revision process, I end up with contradicting actions. Again, this is something I really appreciate my editor catching, but it's something I can watch for as well.

In any case, I will send back my edits later this evening.

And in my last piece of CP news, they shared a series idea with all of their contracted authors and invited us to send a story proposal. I came up with an idea very quickly, submitted the idea, and got the green light. It's not an automatic acceptance since they don't contract stories unless they have a complete manuscript, but I'm very excited about the concept and have already started writing. For now, I'm writing it as a first person story; we'll see if that changes later. It's a fun challenge.



Name: Lia
View My Complete Profile

To get news about my upcoming books, sign up for my newsletter by entering your e-mail address below. Your address will never be given or sold to anyone else. This is an announcement-only newsletter; you will not be deluged with e-mail messages. I will only send messages about my books or contests.

Sign Up Now for Lia's Newsletter Email:  









Visit my new website at http://www.liasebastian.com!











Ann Cory
Cora Zane
Crystal Jordan
Deanna Lee
Demented Delusions
Diana Castilleja
Eden Bradley
Ember Case
Jana J. Hanson
Jorrie Spencer
The Journey
L. Shannon
Lisa Pulliam
Loribelle Hunt
Lucie Simone
Lyric James
Marjorie M. Liu
Mia Romano
Michelle Rowen
Midnight Moon Cafe
The Novelty Girls
Pencil Goddess
The Pleasures of Reading and Writing
Romancing the Blog
Sable Grey
Sara Dennis
Shelli Stevens
Stella and Audra Price
Sylvia Day
T. Sue Versteeg
Tawny Taylor
Vivienne King




Lessons
Closing In
Which Came First . . .
Office Relations Cover
Moments
Writing Meme
Back to Writing
No Consolation Prize Required
If at First . . .
Online






Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker