Friday, March 17, 2006

Moments

I watched the latest version of Pride & Prejudice tonight. Spoilers are ahead, so if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to know anything about it, stop reading now. Anyway, the first time I saw it was in the theatre, my heart turned over in my chest in the scene where Mr. Darcy walks toward Elizabeth in the morning mist. When I bought the DVD, I wondered if I would have the same reaction watching it again.

I did.

It's such a terrific moment, and as the credits rolled, I thought about why. The scene is beautifully filmed. The scenery is awe-inspiring. The clothes are perfect--I practically swoon over Mr. Darcy in that long jacket. And, of course, the acting is wonderful. But what makes that moment so wonderful isn't all of the things I've just listed. It's also because of what happened in the story before this moment.

It's because of everything Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth experience in their journey together that the scene not only works but has an emotional impact. If the moment in the mist had been the first part of the movie, I would have noticed the beautiful filming, awe-inspiring scenery, clothes, and acting, but the scene wouldn't have had the same emotional punch.

I'm working on a story now, and I've been considering how best to strengthen the characters and lengthen the story for possible submission. Tonight it hit me. My story has a moment at the end of the book. It's not Mr. Darcy striding across the meadow, but it's a scene with potential emotional impact. The best way to meet my goals for this story of improved characterization and increased length is to evaluate what happens in the story before that scene. What journey of the characters will bring them to that scene?

In other words, I need to make sure the story earns the moment, earns that final emotional punch.

I love making realizations like this.



Name: Lia
View My Complete Profile

To get news about my upcoming books, sign up for my newsletter by entering your e-mail address below. Your address will never be given or sold to anyone else. This is an announcement-only newsletter; you will not be deluged with e-mail messages. I will only send messages about my books or contests.

Sign Up Now for Lia's Newsletter Email:  









Visit my new website at http://www.liasebastian.com!











Ann Cory
Cora Zane
Crystal Jordan
Deanna Lee
Demented Delusions
Diana Castilleja
Eden Bradley
Ember Case
Jana J. Hanson
Jorrie Spencer
The Journey
L. Shannon
Lisa Pulliam
Loribelle Hunt
Lucie Simone
Lyric James
Marjorie M. Liu
Mia Romano
Michelle Rowen
Midnight Moon Cafe
The Novelty Girls
Pencil Goddess
The Pleasures of Reading and Writing
Romancing the Blog
Sable Grey
Sara Dennis
Shelli Stevens
Stella and Audra Price
Sylvia Day
T. Sue Versteeg
Tawny Taylor
Vivienne King




Writing Meme
Back to Writing
No Consolation Prize Required
If at First . . .
Online
Moving On
Love and Sex
A Talk with Sean
Computer Scare
Keep Writing






Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker