Sunday, August 13, 2006

RWA: Friday

On Friday, I hoped I'd get up early to attend an 8:30 AM class. That didn't happen. I slept in and started my day with the Avon/Ballantine publisher-hosted signing. I had my rolling cart with me to hold the books, and it was very helpful. I also had the fan I picked up in the Goody Room. I made good use of it while I stood in line.

The signing rooms were pretty small this year. Last year's format was better, where the authors were lined up in a large room with one publisher on each side. This time around, they were squashed into smaller rooms with tables along the wall. This added a homey element, but some of the lines spilled into each other, making them tough to negotiate.

I hit the Avon room first, getting books from Kim Harrison and Laura Lee Guhrke, among others. Only when I got home did I realize I already had an autographed copy of Guhrke's book. Oops. I'm looking forward to Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking, though. I was hoping to run into Lisa Kleypas, but I didn't see her.

I picked up several more books in the Ballantine room, including Raven Hart's The Vampire's Seduction, Linda Howard's Killing Time, and Allison Brennan's The Kill. It was nice to say hello to Linda Howard. I told her that I love To Die For, and she said the sequel is coming out sometime in November.

After the signing, I attended my first class: Theme - Taking an Old Fashioned Concept and Turning It into an Effective Way to Market Your Voice. It was pretty good, although I had to leave early to make it to lunch. I did get some ideas I think will help me finish The Seventh Sense.

Next came the Passionate Ink luncheon at the Atlanta Aquarium. It was just far enough that walking would not have been fun, so I took a cab. I still got there a little too late to sit with any of my fellow Romance Divas, so I sat in a corner table. There were little goody bags that contained two print books, two e-books, and lots of promo items such as pens and bookmarks. Very fun!

There were a number of speakers at the luncheon, including one of the reviewers at Joyfully Reviewed, editor Raelene Gorlinski, and an agent. When it comes to erotic romance, many editors are looking for menage, male/male romance, and alpha males. Not good news for someone who writes heterosexual and monogamous romance, often with beta heroes. LOL! But there's room for me, too, I'm sure. :) It's good for readers to have many choices.

The next two pictures are of the beluga whales and fish at the aquarium.





After the luncheon, I took a cab back to the hotel and attended a class called Writing with Magic (for Muggles). I knew it would be about J.K. Rowling's books, but I hadn't expected it to be the main focus of the class. I haven't read book six, but I know a lot about what happens now . . . I should have anticipated that.

After the class, it was time for another publisher signing. This time around was Berkley and St. Martin's Press. While waiting in line, I ran into author Jill Shalvis and we chatted for a few minutes. It was nice to see her. Before she left, she told me that the wait for the Berkley room was worth it, and she was right. I got a bunch of books there from authors I really like, such as Gena Showalter.


Lia and Gena

I'm a member of MaryJanice Davidson's Yahoogroup, and I remembered she said she wasn't a member of RWA. So I was pretty surprised to see her at the signing. Once I did, though, I was quick to get in line. When I got to the front of the line, I told her I was in her group, so she gave me an "Official MaryJanice Davidson Stalker" pin (LOL!), and I had her sign my copy of Mysteria. I also got a copy of Unwed & Undead. Left to my own devices, I would have loved a copy of all the books she had available, but courtesy kicked in and I showed a little restraint.

Before I left, I convinced Gena Showalter to take this picture of us.


Lia and MaryJanice Davidson

After this signing, I wandered up in time to catch 10 minutes of the Publisher Spotlight on Pocket. I stayed for the Publisher Spotlight on Kensington. HelenKay Dimon gives a good run down of it at her blog. One thing to note: Kate Duffy is not interested in erotica, so that should be submitted to one of the other editors, such as Hillary Sares. They had a couple of books as giveaways, including an ARC for Jacquelyn Frank's Nightwalkers: Jacob, which Kate Duffy says is a series she is extremely excited about. Should be fun to give this a try.

After the spotlight, I took a quick nap, then headed off to dinner with some of the Cobblestone Press authors. We went to a place called The Varsity. Our shoes stuck to the floor as we walked in, but the food was good and the company was terrific. After dinner, we hung out with a few Romance Divas. I left early to get some sleep before the next day's events.

Number of Books Acquired on Thursday: 44
Total Books Acquired through Thursday: 104

Labels: ,




Name: Lia
View My Complete Profile

To get news about my upcoming books, sign up for my newsletter by entering your e-mail address below. Your address will never be given or sold to anyone else. This is an announcement-only newsletter; you will not be deluged with e-mail messages. I will only send messages about my books or contests.

Sign Up Now for Lia's Newsletter Email:  









Visit my new website at http://www.liasebastian.com!











Ann Cory
Cora Zane
Crystal Jordan
Deanna Lee
Demented Delusions
Diana Castilleja
Eden Bradley
Ember Case
Jana J. Hanson
Jorrie Spencer
The Journey
L. Shannon
Lisa Pulliam
Loribelle Hunt
Lucie Simone
Lyric James
Marjorie M. Liu
Mia Romano
Michelle Rowen
Midnight Moon Cafe
The Novelty Girls
Pencil Goddess
The Pleasures of Reading and Writing
Romancing the Blog
Sable Grey
Sara Dennis
Shelli Stevens
Stella and Audra Price
Sylvia Day
T. Sue Versteeg
Tawny Taylor
Vivienne King




Between Floors Available Now!
August at Romance Divas
RWA: Thursday
RWA: Wednesday
Atlanta
Packing to Commence
Taking July Off
Challenge
Rising from the Dead
Staying Busy






Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker